Monday, May 20, 2013

NEWPORT OREGON BEACH


 – May 19, 2013

The best part about visiting Newport is the beach.  But there are a few things you need to know about visiting the beach along the Oregon Coast that only a seasoned beach goer knows.  I am extremely qualified to share this knowledge since I spent 14 years of my life living in this beautiful coastal city.



First always go to the beach in the morning.  Why?  To avoid the afternoon NW wind.  Even if its blowing a little (5-15) in the morning, it will be twice that in the afternoon. 


Second, always check the tide chart.  Why? Nothing worse than getting all ready for a long walk on the beach and discovering there is a 12’ high tide.  



Third, don’t plan on swimming in the ocean unless its August or you are 15 or younger.  Why? Seriously, it is cold.  It didn’t bother me when I was younger but now the experience of wading into 57 degree water is something I’m not interested in doing.  However, for the record, I was an excellent body surfer, wave jumper, and poor board surfer in my youth.  Just not going to temp faith with a romp in the waves in May.

Fourth, don’t feed the seagulls.  Your sitting having a nice snack with a nice view of the ocean and a friendly gull comes to visit.  No matter how temping it is to feed the begging gull, don’t.  That gull has a 1000 friends that will join you immediately.  Thoughts of movie “The Birds” will cross your mind immediately.

Fifth, wait to shop the tourist traps (shops) until the afternoon.  Wait until the wind is blowing 20 to 25 mph to pop in and out of shops.  Spend every minute of good weather on the beach.  Exception to this rule is rain, then you can shop all day long.

Last, don’t miss the sunset.  Schedule your day so you are on or near the beach to view the sunset.  It will not disappoint you.

Now I have passed on my knowledge, enjoy.  Grab the dogs, take lots of pics and get out there on the beach.  Recharge your soul (not sole - what was I thinking).  Nothing like the beach!

Did I mention it was my birthday – so happy to be at the beach!

I'll start my diet tomorrow, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment